This is an in-depth guide to Texas Golf Cart & Low-Speed Vehicle Laws. We’ve created this guide to help you, the consumer, in determining Texas’s laws.
Is this state Medium Speed Vehicle friendly? No State Law is Currently in Place.
Is License and Registration a Requirement? For LSVs, yes. For Golf Carts, no. To register your LSV visit your county’s Tax Assessor-Collector
Guidelines for Golf Carts and PTVs (Personal Transportation Vehicles)
Texas law classifies a vehicle as a golf cart if it:
- has no less than three wheels,
- has a maximum speed of between 15-25 mph, and
- is manufactured primarily for operation on golf courses.
REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED FOR GOLF CARTS.
State law allows for use of golf carts with a slow-moving vehicle emblem in the following situations:
- in master planned communities with a uniform set of restrictive covenants in place,
- on public or private beaches,
- during the daytime and no more than two miles from where the owner usually parks the golf cart and for transportation to or from a golf course, or
- to cross intersections, including a road or street that has a posted speed limit of no more than 35 miles per hour.
A city can pass a local ordinance allowing for the use of golf carts on certain roads. The road must be within the boundaries of the city and have a speed limit of 35 mph or lower. The golf cart must be insured (with minimum liability insurance) and have the following equipment:
- tail lamps,
- parking brake,
- mirrors, and
- a slow-moving vehicle emblem.
Guidelines for LSV (Low Speed Vehicle)
- a normal maximum speed of 20-25 mph (LSV) or 20-35 mph (NEV)
- seat belts
- head and tail lights
- a windshield
- a parking brake
- turn signals
- rear-view mirrors
- brake lights
- a valid 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
To title and register your LSV or NEV, you must bring the following to the tax assessor-collector office:
- evidence of ownership, such as a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin or title,
- a completed Form 130-U, and
- proof of minimum liability insurance.